What is a Gas Safety Certificate?

Man servicing a boiler

Landlords must have an annual gas safety check carried out on every gas appliances (such as boilers and hobs) and all related gas flues by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer.

Once the check has been performed the landlord will receive a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate (or CP12 as it is often referred to) from the engineer.

Landlords also must provide a copy of a certificate from the last 12 months before tenants before they move in, and within 28 days of any follow-up check. Failing to provide the CP12 form is a criminal offence and landlords can face fines of up to £6000 or 6 months in prison for not doing this.

It’s not a legal requirement to service the boiler at the same time, but it’s best practice. It’ll also extend the life of your boiler.

Useful tips for gas safety certificates

  • Like MOTs, a Gas Safe engineer can carry out the inspection up to two months before the due date. The gas safety certificate will still retain the existing expiry date.
  • I keep a central list of all of the expiry dates of the gas safety certificates. I make a note in my calendar two months beforehand, and a further reminder a month before the expiry date.
  • If you use a portfolio management system like Landlord Vision, it’s easy to enter in the expiry dates on the platform.
  • It is not a requirement for boilers to be serviced each year. However, I arrange this at the same time to preserve the 10 warranty, which requires them to be serviced every year. It is also best from a safety perspective and is what a responsible landlord should do.
  • When considering the purchase of a new rental property, check to see if the box has been ticked on the gas safety certificate to show the boiler has been serviced. If not, it is worth investigating whether the boiler will need replacing.

How to arrange a gas safety certificate

Most gas engineers will be able to carry out a gas safety certificate for you.

OpenRent offer really good rates for Gas Safety Certificates with £45 as standard, with £15 for additional appliances (prices as of 25 August 2023). You can also add a boiler service for £55 . Click here for more details on OpenRent’s Gas Safety services (affiliate link).

You may also find helpful

Scroll to Top